HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 1

From:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:23:44 -0700
David Floyd writes:

> After a few days of being on and off the TOP 100 Clubs list at Seti@Home,
> Team HP3000-L has risen to the rank of 97.  That should secure a spot in
> the Top 100 for a while.

Things change so quickly there that I don't think ANYONE's position
is guaranteed for long.  For example, Team Art Bell seemingly came
from outta NOWHERE (and with eight *thousand* members!).

We can see the top 100, but we can't see who's flying up the ranks
ready to break through.

> Also, I've noticed that some members of Team HP3000-L have multiple
> accounts listed on the Top Members list.  This didn't really concern
> me until Mark Bixby managed to pass me with BOTH of his accounts.

If you got it, flaunt it, eh? ;)

> Why not combine the
> two?  It'll give your one account better stats and allow the rest of us
> to move up the list simply because you aren't there twice.

Not necessarily.  By having separate accounts, the faster machine can
maintain the faster time per unit, rather having a single *slower* overall
average completion time.

It depends on what's important to the individual participant:  total units
completed, or average time per unit.

Either way results in the same stats for the team.

Just my ha'penny's worth. ;)

--Glenn

P.S.  For more info on Team HP3000-L's effort, or to join in, see

          < http://software-al-dente.com/seti.html >