HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 1

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:50:24 -0500
At 03:24 PM 9/7/1999 -0700, william l brandt wrote:
>Donna - I am still in the stone age - with my Classic 42 - but maybe I can
>help. I think DBUTIL just looks at the root file - and purges what the root
>file tells it - so it shouldn't matter how big the data set is. If you guys
>are just joining the 20th Century what does that make us ;-) If MPE (or
>MPE-ix) allows a file of X-size you should be able to purge it...

No, not quite.  Jumbo datasets consist of a chunk control header file in
MPE file space, and one or more chunk files in POSIX space.  The files also
have different PRIV filecodes.  So indeed, DBUTIL needs to understand this
in order to successfully purge the Jumbo dataset files.

Like Stan, I haven't committed all the feature-version matrix to memory and
unfortunately I don't have my notes here tonight to identify the DBUTIL
version that was Jumbo-aware.  However, it would have shipped with IMAGE on
5.0 systems.  So if you're on a 5.5, or 6.0 system, you shouldn't have any
problems.