HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 1

From:
Peter Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 17:38:30 +0100
HP USERS 99: HP3000 FOCUS

Dear HP3000 User,

Forgive the length of this message, but I wanted to give people in the
HP3000L Newsgroup a clear idea of what we have to offer at HP Users 99, the
UK's Annual Conference + Exhibition. It's being held at the Novotel London
West this October 19-20. Wherever you're from, we look forward to welcoming
you to a great event!

HP3000 PROGRAMME STRUCTURE
We have built an HP3000 Programme that gives you a Training option in the
morning and Conference Sessions in the afternoon each day (details below).
If you don't choose the Training in the morning, there is a strong general
Programme - while Christine Martino, marketing manager worldwide for CSY,
the HP3000 division of HP, is giving a Keynote Address on Wednesday,
October 20 at 1.30pm.

Programme Summary (full HP3000 Conference and Training Abstracts at end of
this email)

TUESDAY OCTOBER 19
Morning Training:
'The Web and Your HP3000.' By Joe Geiser of BizNet Tech.

Afternoon Conference Sessions:
2.40pm Emmet Hayes/HP: 'Value For Money From IT.'
3.20pm Christopher Jesman/Panorama: 'E-Reporting on the HP3000.'
4pm John Petersen/Riva: 'HP3000 - More Buzzwords Than You Can Shake A Stick
At!'

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 20
Morning Training:
FREE HP3000 Technical Update. By Barbara Dubbert, Dave Snow and Rainer
Schulze of HP.

Afternoon Conference Sessions:
2.40pm Eric Bender/John Abbott College: 'Touchtone Phone Registration and
the HP3000.'
3.20pm Bernard Claluna/Minisoft: 'Build a TurboImage Application Using Java
and JDBC.'
4pm 'Maximising the Performance and Availability of Your Image/SQL
Database.'

EXHIBITION
The Exhibition has a strong representation of HP3000 vendors, including:
Adager, Advant, Blue Star, Dataday, DISC Europe, Eaglecliff, Enline,
Holland House, Minisoft, Nike, Open Seas, Perwill, Prestige, Quest, Riva,
Shape Systems, SMM Software, TAG, Teknik. HP itself is promising a major
booth with a good HP3000 presence.

Baan, Broadvision, Citrix, Computacenter, Microsoft, Morse, SAP, SAS and
Stratus are among the other major exhibitors. For the first time, there is
also a separate HP OpenView 'Pavilion' with HP and a dozen HP OpenView
Partners.

WE MAKE IT EASY TO ATTEND HP USERS 99
HP Users 99 is back in London, at the Novotel London West - easily
accessible from Hammersmith Underground Station.

It's competitively priced - and even better value if you join as a Member.
Typical prices: Conference is FREE to all IT staff on a Member's site; or,
£250 per day, £450 for both days. Training: Half Day is £75 to Members,
£150 Non-Members; Full Day is £150 to Members, £300 Non-Members.

Join HPCUA!
If you are not already a CUA member and plan to attend the show, why not
join the CUA and get the benefits of the discounted prices?

Affiliate User Group Package: if you are a Member of any other HP User
Group - such as European National User Groups, or Interex - there is a
special £150 Package for attendance at HP Users 99. This gives you:
1 Free Conference Pass
2 Free Social Event Ticket
3 Training Courses at HPCUA Member Rates.

SOCIAL EVENT TUESDAY, OCTOBER 19
A luxury Dinner Cruise down the Thames is our very special millennium trip!
A superb meal and drinks aboard the beautiful MV Symphony should be a night
to remember. Very limited places! Coaches leave Novotel 6pm for 7pm sailing
from Charing Cross Pier. HPCUA Members £30/Non-Members £50.

FINALLY...
I hope you enjoy reading about all we have to offer you this year. Please
register early to be sure of your Hotel Room and Social Ticket, as these
are going fast.

Regards,

Peter Bradley
HPCUA General Manager
'Together We Make The Difference'

Register online at: www.hpusers.org.uk
Or Phone: +44 (0)20 8424 8682

[ONLY READ ON IF YOU WANT MORE INFO!]
DETAILS OF THE PROGRAMME: FULL ABSTRACTS FOR CONFERENCE SESSIONS AND
TRAINING. ALSO ONLINE: www.hpusers.org.uk

TUESDAY OCTOBER 19

TRAINING IN THE MORNING
[T4] The Web and Your HP3000 - E-Services etc (Half Day, AM)
Joe Geiser, BizNetTech.net LLC. A renowned HP3000 advocate takes the HP3000
into the next millennium...
Audience: HP3000 users.
We will cover several application development environments for the web
including CGI scripting directly on the 3000 using Apache, as well as
Allaire's Cold Fusion, Microsoft Active Server Pages using several tools
including Visual InterDev and Microsoft Access. We'll also cover Secure
Socket Layer (SSL) and secure transmissions. This is just a taste of what
can be offered. If time permits, we can get into JDBC and ADBC access via
Java, using Visual J++.

Cost: £75 HPCUA Members, £150 Non-Members. £15 discount if you book by
September 20.

CONFERENCE IN THE AFTERNOON
Cost: FREE TO ALL STAFF OF HPCUA Members,
£250 One Day/£450 Both Days Non-Members

Presentation Title: Value for Money From IT
Name: Emmet Hayes
Company: Hewlett Packard
Position: Regional Marketing Manager
Audience Information: Aimed at IT managers and board level of medium sized
companies, but will have interest to larger organisations
Level: All
cost overhead, why not let it make a profit instead?
Benefit 1: A different perspective on IT 'costs'
Benefit 2: realise IT can be used for direct revenue generation
Benefit 3: gain a different perspective on what an IT strategy is
Abstract: So many companies went bust in the late 80's and early 90's. Big
players lost their way, others lost market share, new boys on the block
suddenly became market leaders. Was some of this due to companies being to
inward looking in their use of IT, instead of looking out the window at
what the market was doing and taking advantage of changes, they looked in
the mirror only to find new ways of doing the same old things.
Many companies view IT as a cost overhead, something that is an evil
necessity, others are more creative and use it leap ahead and catch the
competition off guard. This presentation will investigate some facets of
this phenomenon, and challenge the attendees to rethink what they do in the
light of a different breed of competitor in the new Millennium. Just when
you thought it was safe to invest in IT...

Presentation Title: E-Reporting on the HP3000 Name: Christopher Jesman
Company: Panorama Antennas Ltd
Position: Managing Director
Postcode: SW18 1HF
Phone: 0181-877-44455
Fax: 0181-877-4454
Email: [log in to unmask]
Topic: E-World
OtherTopic:
Audience: All
Audience Information: HP 3000 users, programmers, operators.
Level: All
brought rapidly into e-commerce.
Benefit 1: How to automatically bring HP3000 reports to an Intranet
Benefit 2: How to automatically email HP3000 reports.
Benefit 3: The benefits of e-reporting (cost, time, accuracy and
distribution)
Abstract: Much has been said about e-commerce, but how can a company bring
its existing HP3000 applications into the e-commerce age?
Christopher Jesman, a dedicated HP3000 end user, will show how he has
applied e-reporting to his company manufacturing antennas. He will
demonstrate how his company automatically distributes reports
electronically and how these reports are received and read by his staff
anywhere in the world. He has discovered a lightweight software tool which
is designed for quick implementation of these systems, and will demonstrate
how rapidly e-reporting can be deployed.
The talk is aimed at anyone who wants to implement e-reporting on their
HP3000 without changing or writing new applications. The talk will provide
an instant stepping stone to e-reporting, and introduce simple techniques
for its implementation.
The benefits to cost, time and accuracy will be examined, and practical
issues will be covered giving delegates a shopping list of resources and
software needed to bring in e-reporting. Various platforms will be touched
on including MPE, NT and Linux. As a result of this session, delegates will
be able to rapidly implement e-reporting on their HP3000s extending the
power of their existing
[...]

Samba, Java, TCP/IP, HTML, WWW, Web Browsers, ODBC, JDBC, POSIX, BIND, DNS,
LAN, WAN, Ethernet, Internet, internet (not a mistake, note the little
'i'), Intranet, Extranet, OLAP and even e-commerce.
How many more things do you want your HP3000 to do?
How can HP put all these things into an obsolete product?
Simple, the HP3000 is (and always will be?) the best product that HP
produces (except that fancy HP printer that is also a fax, copier and
scanner) - [In the author's opinion].
Ever wondered what all these fancy words mean?
Ever thought about listening to someone who has no idea, but likes the
sound of his own voice, so makes up quite convincing stories about what he
thinks they are?
John Petersen, Senior Technical Consultant at Riva Systems (the UK's
leading supplier of HP3000 systems and solutions), will discuss these
concepts and how you can use them today on your HP3000.

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 20

TRAINING IN THE MORNING
FREE HP3000 TECHNICAL UPDATE!
HP flies in a learned trio to bring you right up to the mark technically...
Here are the three:
Barbara Dubbert - HP3000 Software Development Engineer, CSY
Barbara Dubbert is a member of the Internet and Interoperability Team in
CSY's R&D Lab. Her current project is Apache for MPE. Prior to this,
Barbara worked in various areas of the MPE Operating System including
Job/Session, Command Interpreter and Network Printing.

Dave Snow - HP 3000 Platform Planning Manager, CSY
Dave Snow is the HP 3000 Platform Planning Manager. In this role, he works
with HP's System Technology Group, the MPE Labs of the Commercial Systems
Division and customers to plan the rollout of new servers within the HP
3000 product line.

Rainer Schulze - HP 3000 Senior Technical Consultant, Europe
Rainer Schulze is senior technical consultant of the European HP 3000
technical team. Before becoming a main HP 3000 pre-sales contact, he held a
number of technical marketing positions within Hewlett-Packard, including
HP 3000 support, HP/Sybase consulting and project management.
Cost: FREE TO ALL! (Please note there is a separate HP3000 Partners' event
in the afternoon; for details, contact: [log in to unmask])

CONFERENCE IN THE AFTERNOON
Cost: FREE TO ALL STAFF OF HPCUA Members;
£250 One Day/£450 Both Days Non-Members

Presentation Title: Touchtone Telephone Registration and the HP3000
Name: Eric Bender
Company: John Abbott College
Position: Coordinator, Computer Services
Postcode: H9X 3L9
Phone: (514) 457-6610, Ext. 208
Fax: (514) 457-3027
Email: [log in to unmask]
Topic: MPE
OtherTopic:
Audience: All
Audience Information: Interested parties would include anyone contemplating
using the HP3000 to support transactions entered by users from a touchtone
telephone. Also, those familiar with this technology, would perhaps be
interested in a discussion on migration possibilities such as to the
Internet. Finally, anyone from an academic institution should be interested
in our 10 years of experience with this application.
Level: All
Benefit 1: How to develop such an application.
Benefit 2: The pitfalls involved when a number of companies are involved.
Benefit 3: How to manage significant change in a conservative environment.
Abstract: John Abbott College is located near Montreal, Quebec, Canada and
serves a population of some 5,000 students. In 1987, the college decided to
move away from the familiar arena registration model traditionally employed
by institutions of higher-learning and implement a system whereby students
register online each semester for their courses using touchtone telephones.
Our Computer Services/MIS staff is quite modest in number given the
traditional budget constraints encountered in the public sector, yet we
decided nevertheless to develop touchtone registration in-house.
The application went into production in 1989 and thus has now been
operating for a decade. The presentation will cover the technical aspects
of linking the telephone system to an HP3000 as well as the problems
encountered along the way from both a technical and administrative
perspective.
The experience of the past decade demonstrates that the HP3000 under MPE is
an excellent vehicle to support such a system. In that we must interface
with a variety of other technology platforms to provide touchtone
registration, the commitment of Hewlett-Packard to maintaining MPE as an
open platform has eased the technical hurdles to be surmounted.
The heart of the overall system is the John Abbott College Student
Information System (JACSIS) which has been resident on an HP3000 since the
mid-1970s. Linked via VT-100 emulation to our HP3000/928 is a Voice
Response Processor from Periphonics Corporation which acts as an
intermediary device between the telephone system and the host computer.
Students call the system during pre-determined time windows and identify
themselves by entering Student Numbers and PINs. (The HP3000 can handle up
to 24 concurrent calls from students.) Assuming they are authorised
callers, the students then select courses for their upcoming semester. All
requests are checked
against course availabilities and a plethora of college policies (on the
HP3000 host); if everything is in order the student receives a voice
message of confirmation and the JACSIS TurboImage database is updated.
Of course, the system is far more than this simplistic transactional
overview. It represents a computerised emulation of dozens of college
priorities and services. The registration process as implemented at John
Abbott College can be considered as an AI (Artificial Intelligence)
application.
Such an application evolves. In recent years, we have added online
functionality to undertake a verification of all the student's course
requests to ensure complete compliance with program requirements as well as
a module to support credit card payment of student debts and fees. The
system receives constant evaluation - both formal and informal - and we
attempt to respond to the changing college environment. So far, we have
been able to incorporate all newly-defined requirements into the system.
Of course there are potential pitfalls. One of the major ones is the
classical IT situation involving multiple vendors. Because HP doesn't
provide Voice Response support technology - or a telephone system - we have
no choice but to deal with several suppliers with the finger-pointing
involved when troubles do occur. But, with twenty registrations (two per
year) now under our belt, we have yet to meet a deadline for student
registrations. And, the "corporate culture" has evolved from a point where
touchtone registration was anathema to many if not most academics to a
situation in which it has become an integral part of college life.
What of the future? Despite its great success, touchtone telephone
registration remains quite expensive: we have 24 dedicated telephone lines
to pay for as well as the maintenance of a machine (the Periphonics Voice
Response System) which otherwise would not be required. We believe that in
the future we will support registration via the Internet. With this in
mind, we are in the process of web-enabling our applications (written in
COBOL and Speedware). When we contemplated touchtone registration, grave
doubts were raised about students not having access to touchtone
telephones; by the time the application was implemented, they were
ubiquitous. A parallel assumption can be made today about Internet access.
In conclusion, the John Abbott College Touchtone Registration can be
considered a great success, not the least due to the friendly technical
environment provided by MPE on the HP3000. As we move on to newer
techniques for student registration, we would expect the HP3000 to remain
adaptable enough to continue as the system cornerstone.

Presentation Title: Build a TurboIMAGE Application Using Java and JDBC
Name : Bernard Clalüna
Company : MiniSoft Marketing AG
Position : Director
Phone : +41 41 340 23 20
Fax : +41 41 340 38 66
Email : [log in to unmask]
Topic : MPE
OtherTopic :
Audience : Developers
Audience Information:
Level: All
and applets.
In this paper, we intend to show a way for implementingr read and write
access from JAVA to TurboIMAGE.
Benefit 1: How to write a basic JAVA application or applet
Benefit 2: How to connect to a MPE/iX server from JAVA
Benefit 3: How to read/write TurboIMAGE data from a JAVA application or
applet
Abstract: The session starts with an overview of
- the JAVA Programming Environment
- the benefits of using JAVA
- the JDBC application programming interface (API)
- building one-, two- and three-tier solutions using JAVA and a JDBC driver
Followed by a practical example featuring
- Basic Database Access with JDBC
- JDBC Classes and Interfaces
- Prepared Statements and Parameters
- Metadata
- Adding, Updating and Deleting Data
- Deploying JAVA applications and applets
Abstract: The session starts with an overview of
- the JAVA Programming Environment
- the benefits of using JAVA
- the JDBC application programming interface (API)
- building one-, two- and three-tier solutions using JAVA and a JDBC driver
Followed by a practical example featuring
- Basic Database Access with JDBC
- JDBC Classes and Interfaces
- Prepared Statements and Parameters
- Metadata
- Adding, Updating and Deleting Data
- Deploying JAVA applications and applets

Presentation Title: Maximising the Performance and Availability of Your
IMAGE/SQL Database
Name: Jerry Fochtman
Company: Bradmark, Inc.
Position: Director of Research and Development, HP3000 Division
Postcode: 77027
Phone: 713/621-2808
Fax: 713/623-2564
Email: [log in to unmask]
Topic: High Availability
OtherTopic:
Audience: System Administrators & Developers
Audience Information: This presentation is intended for those individuals
who manage IMAGE/SQL databases or wish to learn more about IMAGE/SQL.
Level: All
IMAGE/SQL. How they function, what are their benefits along with potential
impacts, and how to manage them will be discussed.
Benefit 1: Learn more about the new features of IMAGE/SQL.
Benefit 2: Understanding the benefit vs. cost of using the new features.
Benefit 3: Revisit some of the on-going issues DBAs continually face.
Abstract: Expanding business needs are placing growing demands on both the
performance and availability of information in DBMS systems. HP continues
to respond to these needs by adding new features to IMAGE/SQL to help users
meet these needs. Some of these new features include master dataset dynamic
expansion, 80GB datasets and dynamic semaphores.
This presentation will provide attendees with information on how the latest
series of enhancements to IMAGE/SQL function, along with some insight into
their use as well as how they can be managed.
Abstract: Expanding business needs are placing growing demands on both the
performance and availability of information in DBMS systems. HP continues
to respond to these needs by adding new features to IMAGE/SQL to help users
meet these needs. Some of these new features include master dataset dynamic
expansion, 80GB datasets and dynamic semaphores.

Full details on our website: www.hpusers.org.uk
Or phone: +44 (0)20 8424 8682.

Visit HP Users 99, our Annual Conference & Exhibition, this October 19-20,
London
HP Users: 'Together We Make The Difference'
www.hpusers.org.uk
3rd Floor, Station House, Masons Avenue,
WEALDSTONE, Harrow, HA3 5AH, UK
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8424 8682
Fax: +44 (0)20 8424 9162