HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 1

From:
John Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:34:54 -0500
Let's clear up some confusion here...

Every HP 3000 PA-RISC box we've ever experimented with, and we do this
every day, has run MPEiX at any level.  Furthermore, every one I've talked
to who has done Y2K testing has found their HP 3000 RISC hardware to
function properly, so the hardware is not the problem.  I think the
confusion starts when HP announces that they will not support a platform or
an OS anymore.  It doesn't mean the hardware or OS suddenly stop working.
It means they no longer want to devote resources to keeping it alive in the
next century, and that upgrades will become a problem.  But it still
continues to work perfectly well today as it did yesterday, UNTIL/UNLESS
YOU NEED TO UPGRADE THE OS.

A second source of confusion is that HP has announced that MPEiX level 6.5
will not support HP-IB nor fiber anymore.  Now this WILL affect those older
systems with those interfaces, in that users WHO NEED TO RUN 6.5 will NOT
be able to use those peripherals, which in some cases may force them to
change systems.  Be aware, however, that there are still workarounds to
this problem that DON'T require changing systems.  I know that alot of you
out there are trying to wait to change systems until IA-64 is up and
running on the 3000 platform, and that makes perfect sense.  You may be
able to, and I'd be happy to discuss this with you offline.

In summary, my point is this - if your HP 3000 will run MPEiX 5.5 pp6 (or
some say pp4), it will be running on Jan. 1, 2000 (at least all the
brainpower of this list has concluded that).  I'm not saying that all your
applications will, I'm only referring to the hardware and OS.

Have I overlooked something??

John Lee
Vaske Computer Solutions