HP3000-L Archives

September 1999, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:20:38 -0500
X-no-Archive:yes
Wirt is not quite correct.  Iridium is named after the element with the Atomic
Number of 77.  It is usually, but not always the same as the number or
electrons.  Since electrons can be transferred from one atom to another, this
number may vary.  However, the atomic number, which is also the number of
protons in the nucleus, is constant for that element.  If the number of protons
changes somehow, the element is not the same as it was, whereas if the number
electrons varies, you have an ion, positive or negative.

The idea for Iridium is to provide communications anywhere on the planet.
 However, the target is quite small, since you would only be talking about
people climbing on Everest, right smack dab in the middle of the Pacific Ocean,
Tristan Da Cunha or in Antarctica.  Anywhere far from a cell.  With each
passing year, this area shrinks.  And now with multi-band cell phones, the
appeal of Iridium shrinks further.

The main problem is that you had to buy a satellite phone for several $1,000 a
copy and the beast weighs pounds, not ounces.  Further, when you use the phone
you are charged about $3-$5 a sentence, far more than the vast number of people
would ever pay.

Iridium was an elegant concept for a problem that was being addressed cheaper
and easier by another technology, cellular telephones.

This puts me in mind of the guy who invented a door latch to enable someone,
anyone trapped inside a refrigerator to be able to get out.  Some of you may
not remember these old appliances because the doors on refrigerators have been
magnetized a while back, completely circumventing the entrapment problem.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com