UTCSTAFF Archives

September 1999

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Jeff Romero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Romero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:01:59 -0400
MOCS QUARTERBACK, SAFETY WIN SOCON PLAYERS OF WEEK HONORS

        CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.---Chattanooga quarterback Chris Sanders and strong safety
Cody Goodin were named Southern Conference Offensive and Defensive Players
of the Week
respectively after the Mocs 29-27 road victory over Samford, the league
office announced Monday.
It marked the first time UTC has won both offensive and defensive
conference awards since 1989.
        In his Mocs debut, Sanders, a transfer from SMU, came within three yards
of breaking the
school record for passing yardage in a game.  He completed 21-of-38 passes
for 358 yards and
three touchdowns, including scoring strikes of 80, 78 and 25 yards.
        “I give the credit to the offensive line,” said Sanders, a native of
Flower Mound, Texas.
“And our receivers did a great job getting open and catching the ball.  The
coaches put us in some
good situations to make some things happen on offense.”
        Goodin, a junior from Englewood, Tenn., also making his first start, was
credited with a career-best eight tackles,
including six solos and one for a loss.  He also caused two fumbles,
recovered one and broke up
one pass.  His first forced fumble led to UTC’s first points of the game,
and his second forced
fumble came in the decisive fourth period.
        “They’re counting on you to make plays regardless of if you start or not,”
Goodin said.  “I
was lucky to be able to play well and to be in position to make some plays.”
        The last time UTC earned both SoCon Offensive and Defensive Players of
Week awards
was on Sept. 23, 1989, when James Roberts and Junior Jackson won the
offensive and defensive
honors respectively after UTC’s 14-0 win over Marshall.
        “The awards are products of what we preach to our players all the time,”
Green said.  “If
the team does well, we will all reap the individual honors for it.  I
couldn’t be more proud for two
players making their first starts in a Chattanooga uniform to win these
honors.”
        The Mocs held a noon workout Monday since school was not in session
because of Labor
Day.  The squad practiced in shorts, shoulder pads and helmets in
preparation for Saturday’s
non-conference game at Louisville.  Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. ET at
Louisville’s Papa John’s
Cardinal Stadium.

--utc--
Sept. 6, 1999

Jeff Romero
Sports Information Director
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN  37403
W:  423-755-5292        FAX:  423-755-4610