UTCSTAFF Archives

September 1999

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:15:14 -0400
UTC Community,

I am writing a book about my experiences in raising an orangutan, Chantek, on
the UTC campus in the 1980’s, and teaching him to use sign language. A
documentary film, “They Call Him Chantek,” is being produced by the Discovery
Channel, which will be filming on campus in October. Chantek is featured in an
article on animal thinking in this week’s Time Magazine (September 6).

Many in the UTC family may remember Chantek, and have interesting stories
about Chantek on campus or in the community, or background information about
his stay on campus. No anecdote is too small. I would like to collect these
stories and descriptions of events for the Project Chantek Archive, and also
for possible inclusion in my book or in the Discovery Channel film. I am
interested in all kinds of stories, funny, amazing, emotional, clever, sad,
controversial, confidential, etc.

Please write out your story, information, or anecdote, and give your name and
a phone number where you can be reached. Please indicate if you would like to
have your name withheld, and I will be careful to use your information only on
background, or by not identifying you. If you prefer to speak with me
directly, please leave a message on my phone (4440), and I will get back to
you for an interview. I am also interested in talking with former students and
people in the community who might remember Chantek (Chantek currently lives at
Zoo Atlanta where I work with him now, although there is a growing community
movement to see if Chantek can return to Chattanooga and live at the new,
million-dollar renovated Warner Park Zoo, in the future.}

You may get in touch with me at: [log in to unmask], or leave a message on my
office phone: 423-755-4440. You may also speak with my associate, Warren
Roberts, at that same number. Thank you very much for your help.

H. Lyn Miles, UC Foundation Professor of Anthropology