HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 5

From:
Answerline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Answerline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:26:17 -0400
Gentle Readers of the HP3000-L,

Stan wrote:
> I still ALLOCATE some CM programs today, on MPE/iX 6.0 ... for the same
> reason as on Classic MPE: to speed up create/createprocess.

some snipped

> AFAIK, it does exactly the same thing on MPE/iX as it did on MPE V.
> It does save some elapsed time:
> Example...running P.PUB (begin/end.) 100 times:
> not ALLOCATED: 3,282 CPU, 9,705 elapsed milliseconds
> ALLOCATED: 3,342 CPU, 7,733 elapsed milliseconds

Look for the program LOAD.PUB.SYS in SHOT, SOS, Glance,  or SHOWQ ;ACTIVE!
This is a good indicator that CM programs are being initiated. Tracking the
individual programs down may be just a bit more tricky.

The overhead is especially noticeable for unallocated CM programs that run
as part of a logon UDC, as it is unlikely that multiple executions would
occur. Also, lets not forget good old EDITOR, QUERY (CM version is still
default), and FCOPY. Along with this topic is that of OCTCOMPing these same
CM programs after each OS update.

Sincerely,

AL

Please visit the new and improved www.interex.org site.

<plug>
AL / AnswerLine at Interex.org is sponsored by Beechglen Development Inc.
www.beechglen.com
</plug>