HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 5

From:
john edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
john edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:25:40 -0700
--- john edwards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> You don't need a flood.
> Back in the 70s the Australian Bureau of Statistics
> had their CDC collection of mainframes and tape.....

and

--- Allan Chalmers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> You're not being paranoid.  Paranaoia is an imagined
> fear of danger.

If there is a flood having your computer above the
flood level may not help either....

There is a lovely little story about a flood in
Lismore (Northern New South Wales, Australia).

There was a hostel for retired nuns just out of
Lismore. (What do you call an old nunary?) It was a
multi-story building and the ground floor was in a few
feet of flood water. The dear old nuns should have
been safe, warm and dry on the first floor. No such
luck.
For the convenience of those nuns that were confined
to a wheelchair, an automatic lift had been installed
that was weight activated. Just wheel into the lift on
the ground floor and the doors would close, the lift
would rise to the first floor. When the weight left
the lift it would return to the ground floor and open
the doors ready for the next trip.
Unlikely as it may seem this lift continued to
function throughout the flood. Carrying load after
load of flood water up to the first floor. Visions of
our poor old nuns surfing down the corridors.

True story, but I'm not sure of it's relevance.
Except...it pays to be paranoid.

Regards
John Edwards