HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 5

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:04:38 EDT
Alex asks:

> Hello, I'm currently using an HP Pavillion Model #6350.  It seems recently
>  when I'm on the internet especially my computer is just freezing - locking
>  up and automatically rebooting.  The screen will just freeze out of
nowhere.
>  I'm currently usingWin 98,  IE 5.0 and Outlook Express most of the time
when
>  it happens.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

I know what the Mac users in this group would tell you do :-).

More seriously, this used to happen to me quite often several years ago, when
I was using a Pentium 100MHz machine, running Win95, primarily using AOL.
Ultimately, the problem proved to be our ISP and his modem handling. The
problem was eventually resolved by our ISP upgrading his modems. Since
they've done that, I haven't had the problem for several years.

But I can tell you that it used to infuriate me. You probably don't know
Denys Beauchemin, but he's this group's resident PC guru -- and I discussed
my problem with him at the time. Denys didn't have a clue, and I still don't
as to the cause. I would be typing something highly intelligent, worthy of
being recorded for the ages -- and spending tens of minutes on its
preparation -- and then have the PC freeze exactly as you describe.
Eventually, I learned to sign off of my dialup network PPP connection before
I began writing (or save my comments every few minutes while writing).

I still use dialup PPP once in a while, but we're otherwise frame-relayed
now. Nonetheless, I can't think of a problem that I was more pleased to see
disappear. We did nothing at our end to solve the problem. Everything we do
now is just as we did then. And I'm not sure that our ISP knew that they were
solving this problem. But what I can say is that I cuss a lot less nowadays.

Wirt Atmar