HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 5

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:56:56 -0500
X-no-Archive:yes
I have read the announcement.  It is nothing to get excited about.  What it
says is that Omniback will be ported to the HP 3000 where it will first be
introduced as an agent.  What this means is that with Omniback, the HP 3000
cannot take backups directly to attached devices, it must go over the network
to a UNIX or other non-MPE server.  A form of a server version is promised for
some time in the future, undefined.

Plug on.

Currently Hiback is the only real multi-platform enterprise backup solution
which covers the HP 3000.  At HP world we demonstrated this capability.  We had
an HP 3000 controlling a DLT library (StorageTek 9730), unassisted by any other
platform, an industry first.  This is a pure software solution that is
available for the HP 3000, by itself.  With Hiback, the HP 3000 can be a
client, a full server or both in the enterprise backup strategy.  The HP 3000
can be stand alone controlling a large robotic library or can share libraries
with other Hiback platforms.  Unlike announcements of futures from other
vendors, you can get Hiback, client and server versions with library control
today.  It is shipping today, not at some indeterminate date in the future.  If
you call me or e-mail me today, I can have a CD at your site tomorrow and you
can try it yourself.  All you need is a SCSI-2 command set DDS or DLT library
and a SCSI connection, preferably F/W differential if you are going to
DLT7000s. And Hiback.

Unplug.

I am happy to report that we have started to get library vendors to add MPE as
a supported platform for their SCSI-2 command set DDS and DLT libraries.
(StorageTek, ADIC, ATL , Spectralogic, Overland Data, Breece Hill, just to name
a few.)  Of course, the only product that is now shipping and supports these
libraries on MPE, unassisted, is Hiback.  (Not a plug, just a fact.)

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com