HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 5

From:
Chris Langdon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Langdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:10:34 PDT
Todd,

We like Time Machine (www.solution-soft.com) very much because it's a Y2K
testing solution available on more platforms which we have in our
environment (MPE, HP-UX, NT) and we were able to test on our production
boxes with out effecting the system clock and other users. We didn't want 3
different simulators for our 3 different platforms. We looked at Hour Glass
(Allegro) but opted not to use it b/c we don't necessarily want all file
time stamps updated. If we need to update them, we just do a touch -m and
it's done. We'd have big problems if all time stamps were updated b/c of
time sensitive apps, security s/w and testing tools would time-out and
expire. FYI: Hour Glass is available on HP3000s and AIX while TM is availble
on MPE, HP-UX, NT, Solaris, Irix and MPRAS. Going back and forth in time was
one of my biggest conerns because I didn't know how the box would handle it.
But HP explictly recommends the Time Machine on their site for avoiding time
stamp issues and not having to restore the box after testing future dates:
http://www.hp.com/year2000/start/hpuxqa.html#q15

Easy to install and operate too. We plan on putting TM on production servers
for the rollover so if an app goes down, we can pop it back up using a 28
year clock (28 yr rule: calendars are indentical incl. the leap year)
relative to the sys clock. We demoed it for a week and were sold. I'd
suggest demoing both and judging for yourself:

TM: http://www.solution-soft.com/products/tm/tm_datasheet.html
HG: http://www.allegro.com/hourglass2000/hp3000/index.html

good luck.

Chris