HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 4

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:15:58 +0100
1)  Those little two or six pen plotters HP used to make had special serial "eavesdrop cable" so you could hook it up between your HP3000 and a terminal when running Graphics programs (like DSG/3000?).  I suppose the same principle could be applied to capture to a printer.  It seems you'd only need the pinouts for that "eavesdrop cable".  I think I remember it using pins in the 12 to 16 range on a DB-25 connector.

2.  If the user's is using a dumb terminal with an alternate I/O port just set his configuration to do a permanent "LOG BOTTOM" and snake a cable to a printer in another room.  When the user asks "What's that cable for?"  Just say "Aw-nuthin'".

3.  Doesn't Spyglass also work on serial connections?

I'd almost suggest permanently doing a "LOG BOTTOM" to disc if the user has a PC, but then he'd be permanently annoyed with what to "Save the File As...?" questions.