HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 4

Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:26:35 -0400
Re: (32 lines)
Hello Friends,

Re: Re: OT: Data Center Location

Ah, a war story topic if I ever saw one... In a prior life as the
Corporate Systems Manager in a large printing company in Effingham IL's
I learned that the 3000 can swim!

Our DP shop was in a ground level facility with an 8 inch raised floor
and the spring waters arose... Our first clue was when one of the 2963A
printers stooped working (2 50ft cables joined together by a big rubber
band) plugged into the S/64's (w/3 bay) ATP ports...

Up come the floor tiles... Oh-My-Gosh... 7 inches of water under the
floor and the 3k is still running... All of the (208) power for the 10
7933 wash machine disk drives was under the tiles (now under water) as
well as the systems power.  The HPIB extended cables to 2 2980A laser
printers joined 1/2 way, duck taped and wire tied. The same for the 2
HPIB tape drives...

The 3000 swam with out a flicker and the waters subsided.  The only
downtime experienced was the RS232 connection on the printer and a
scheduled power down maintenance to shake the water out of the various
electrical receptacle's as well as re-ducking the HPIB connectors.

Enjoy,

James Hofmeister
Hewlett Packard
Worldwide Technology Network Expert Center
P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers.