HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 4

From:
"Stigers, Greg [And]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stigers, Greg [And]
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:29:25 -0400
X-no-Archive:yes
I doubt that I have experience with this to have a qualified opinion, but is
Inprise's (nee Borland) Delphi their adaptation from Pascal to an
object-oriented Pascal, then to a product competing with VB? If I have
understood this correctly, it is an interesting lesson in what can happen to
a language on a particular platform or when left to a single vendor. The
question of Visual Basic as a dialect of BASIC has already been raised in
the HP World thread; I recall Wirt describing it as such in a much older
thread, although I don't see that description too often. I doubt that anyone
wants this kind of mutation to ever happen to Java, although anything is
possible, and someone could extend Java beyond recognition. Sun's Java
author describes it as an adaptation of C++, although I have not read anyone
else describe it as an adaptation, but as being like C++.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com