HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 4

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:49:39 -0700
Here at Allegro we've been connected to the net via a 128Kbps ISDN link
for the last couple years.  We're now outgrowing this, and are looking
at upgrading to a T1 line or equivalent.  We've been told that we're too
far from the CO to get any form of xDSL here at the moment, and it looks
like a traditional T1 line will run us about $1,000/month here in the Bay
Area(tm) (~$700 to the ISP and $300 to the phone company).

We're currently talking to Globix, Intermedia, and Brainstorm (our current
ISP).  I'm interested in any feedback from anyone who has worked with any
of these companies, or if anyone can suggest some other technology or
service provider that we should be looking at.

Everyone seems to be recommending a Cisco 2610 as a router/CSU/DSU, and
having avoided Cisco equipment up to this point in my life, I'm also
interested in any opinions anyone has on how easy one of these things is
to deal with, and whether they can provide an adequate firewall capability
on their own.

If people reply to me privately, I'll summarize the results to HP3000-L
if anyone else is interested.

Thanks,

Gavin