HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 3

From:
David De Weerdt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David De Weerdt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:49:26 GMT
From the MPE 6 Communicator :

Analyzing the above format 9 example:

All of the format 8 data is seen.

The PIN (Process ID Number) begins the next line, followed by the process
filename.

The next line shows the type of access which includes: "R" for read, "W" for
write, "X" for execute, "A" for append, "L" for lock, "S" for save, "U" for
update, "RD" for directory read access. The file-sharing mode is next.
Values include: "sysexc" for system exclusive (rarely seen), "excl" for
exclusive, "ear" for semi-exclusive (exclusive-allow-read), "shr" for
shared, "multi" for shared job, or "gmulti" for system shared. Next the
current record number is seen, and last is the file number.

If the process does not have any locks then "NONE" is displayed. If the PIN
owns or is waiting on one or more of the relevant semaphores, then the
semaphore name is shown under either the "Owner" or "Waiter" column. There
are three semaphores (locks) considered.

The FLOCK semaphore is obtained when a processes calls the FLOCK intrinsic.
This lock is exclusive; meaning that only one process at a time can own the
FLOCK semaphore for a file. Occasionally the FLOCK semaphore is used by the
file system to synchronize directory access.

The OPEN semaphore is locked by the file system when a file is being
formally opened. In this usage the OPEN semaphore is locked exclusively. It
is also used by the operating system to protect certain file system data
structures when they are being read. This usage allows the OPEN semaphore to
be locked in a shared fashion. The OPEN semaphore can be locked shared by
multiple processes, but once it is locked exclusively all other PINs trying
to lock it will wait.

The GUFD semaphore is locked by the file system when it does I/O on the
target file. It is locked exclusively.

Hope this helps

Ted Ashton wrote in a message ...
>What does the "-excl" mean below?  The docs say it means "exclusive", but
the
>",Share" belies that, as does the fact that two different users have the
file
>open (and that item 13 in the HPFOpen is set to 3).
>
>/ADMIN/ADMDEV:listfile passf99s.admrec,9
>********************
>FILE: PASSF99S.ADMREC.ADMIN
>4 Accessors(O:4,P:4,L:0,W:2,R:4),Share
>#S4323  ASHTED,POULSON.ADMIN       P:2,L:0,W:1,R:2      REM :
209.142.167.125
> #P225   (PASSPRTP.FINANCE.ADMIN)
>   ACCESS: R,W,U-excl        REC#: 0                    FNUM: 32
>    LOCKS: none
> #P225   (PASSPRTP.FINANCE.ADMIN)
>   ACCESS: R-excl            REC#: 0                    FNUM: 14
>    LOCKS: none
>
>#S4316  ASHTED,ADMDEV.ADMIN        P:2,L:0,W:1,R:2      REM :
209.142.167.125