HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 3

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 20:31:39 +0100
Of the Keynote Address, it covered mostly "E"-Services.

After the introduction there was a montage video showing
statements by CEOs of various companies.  They mostly
fantasized about "E"-Services as the end-all to be-all.
(You'd think "E"-Services would butter your bread for you.)
I would characterize the flavour of the video was "Happy,
Happy, Joy, Joy" combined with "Peace, Love, and E-Services"
with your global trading neighbor.  Although I had some
scary thoughts, would a Kosovar buy e-services from Serb
based company?  I don't think so.  Given the presentation
that followed given by Ann Livermore, you could assume that
anything can be obtained on the Web, automated while you sleep
using "E"-Services.  Back to my scary thought, the same Kosovar
(or name your combatant here.) could would be able to buy
ammunition based on a key search of Price, Speed of Delivery,
or Quality from any supplier on earth.  Then he could trade
"E"-Bullets with his Serb (or name your opponent here)
adversary.

Naturally, the first step outlined that a company must
perform to before implementing "E"-Services was "Bulletproof
your Infrastructure."

Next came Lew Platt to the podium, introduced by Ann as
HP's Chairman and CEO (technically incorrect, but given
the above topic he could have been introduced as Chairman
and CEO "E"-meritus.)  This was his farewell speech to
HPWORLD (aka Interex) and his 15th keynote address to the
same.  Where he then introduced his replacement, Carleton
"Carly" S. Fiorina, formerly of Lucent Technologies.

(Someone needs to remind HP to update their Executive
Bios on their web page!  Lew Platt is there and his
replacement is not.)

After he walked off stage she introduced herself then made
a call for a 2nd round of applause for Lew Platt.  He came
from backstage again and he got a standing ovation.  A
typical love-fest, although it sounded more to me like
"The King is Dead, Long Live the Queen."

After that she went into a short speech about HP's
"Strategic Direction".  I noticed she was a "walker" in
her speaking style, moving back and forth across the
stage with strategic pauses for long paragraphs.  The
backdrop was a painting of the earth over a starry
background with the HP logo to one side.  I don't know
if it was by accident or design, but the close up
projection of her on a side screen at several of her
"stops" in her walk showed the curve of the bottom
edge of the earth where it met her shoulderline.
It this more PsyOps?  Are they implying the weight
of the world now rests on her shoulders?