HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 3

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 18:21:56 -0400
Stan Sieler writes after me,

> I've said nothing publically about 3kworld.com until now (I
> wasn't a naysayer,
> fencesitter, or advocate...simply oblivious :), but I would like
> to point out one pair of facts and one obvious caution:
>
>    3kworld.com is owned by Client Systems.

Absolutely true (I should have made that clearer)

>    Client Systems is the only official HP 3000 distributor
> for the US (and Canada?).

Yes, but has no bearing - the two are totally separate.  3kworld.com was in the
works prior to the exclusive distributorship deal, from what I understand (from
multiple sources).

> The caution:
>
>    This means that HP could, *in theory*, have a big lever to
> use in a *possible* attempt to control a group of users.

<snip>

Here's where the last line of my post comes into play.  Give them some
breathing room!  I agree, be diligent and watchful, but based on what I've
heard - both from HP, from Client Systems and elsewhere, this is not the case
now and Client Systems/3kworld.com has no intention of doing this (meaning
becoming "another Interex" or "a replacement for Interex").

Regards,
Joe