HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 3

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 02:26:39 +0100
I had a farther hotel than most, so walking
to the convention center was always an adventure.
I noticed that for everytime I went outside,
a fire truck would always go by with the horns
blaring.  What is it with these San Franciscans?
Don't they know how to prevent fires?

I got a few responses from these postings, someone
asked if they would ever see what I wrote in print?
I replied and told the person to use the print
button in their e-mail program.  It wasn't until
after I sent that I realised the person must have
thought I work for the press.

The major item of the day was Wirt Atmar's QCTerm
program!  He will give a presentation Friday from
10AM to Noon on it.  QCTerm is the slickest program
that can be found today for the HP3000.  With this
simple elegant terminal emulator, Wirt showed me
(and others), the following:

- Graphics!  (bitmaps)

- Sound!  (wav & midi)

- Interactive Graphics and Sound!

- An advanced mode of data entry that looks and feels like
you were using a PC and not a terminal emulator!

- All programs were written in 30-year old BASIC on
the HP3000 and they looked like they were java-based
browser scripts written today!

- The best part is that you can do much of the above
without having to change your existing programs!

After all what are many of the BAD things people say
about the HP3000?

- It's old.
- It's klunky.
- It looks and feels "legacy".

With QCTerm your applications can be presented in such
a way that it seems just like it came off your NT Server!

Gavin Scott also saw what Wirt had done.  After he had
seen what a program written in 30 year old BASIC can do,
he is attributed as saying:

"I have seen the future....
..
..