HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 3

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 13:40:13 -0400
Super!  A great first step!

I would like to see it expanded to include products which are no longer
supported/enhanced - like BASIC and Business Basic, and of course, SPL.
SPL is quite stable, but there are funny little gotcha's that pop up from
time to time, and most of the time the problem isn't code generation, but
listing or MAP related.  And then I have my own enhancement requests - in
particular, I'd like to be able to output the MAP information in a
different format, one that a debugger I have could read directly.  As for
BASIC and Business Basic, it isn't so much code generation, but added
features (BASIC) and "known problem" fixes (Business Basic) that could be
addressed.  Particularly the long list of Business Basic "known problems".
For those who have not used Business Basic, it is a great
interpreter/compiler, and something that every HP 3000 should have.
Unfortunately, it also has a few "quirks" (read undocumented features and
documented "known problems"), like the 80 character line problem (which is
very annoying, a "known problem", and will probably never be fixed).

As for the first thing to tackle in EDITOR, it has got to be Texting and
Keeping bytestream files.  The second thing to tackle would be allowing HFS
file names.  Third, (or at least my third) would be implementing TDP's
ability to copy columns or tokens via the CHANGE command.

Oh, and the link to http://www.interex.org/tech/3000/hp30003.html (for
EDITOR) generates a 404 error (not found), so I guess things are not set up
yet.

Anyway, "Thanks HP!" for the first step.  Hopefully, there will be
additional packages added in the near future.

John

At 8/19/99 11:33 AM , Doug Werth wrote:
>I found this very interesting:
>
>Quoted from http://www.interex.org/hotnews/hpworld99.html#3000
>
><<<<BEGIN QUOTE>>>>
>Sterling announced that HP is joining the "open source" movement with the
>initial release of two MPE source code modules, Query and Editor, and two
>Java Software Class Libraries, TurboIMAGE and VPLUS. HP believes that this
>initiative brings significant advantages to both CSY and its customer base.
>HP customers will be able to access the source code, make modifications and
>enhancements, and submit the changes back for potential acceptance into MPE
>products.
>
>Interex has accepted the role of hosting the source code modules on its Web
>site and managing the "check-out/check-in" process. Within its role of
>managing the source code modifications, Interex will make source code
>enhancements available to the 3000 community for use and public evaluation
>at http://www.interex.org/tech/3000/hp30003.html. The site will also include
>an e-mail based support line for each source code module and a FAQ. Source
>code can be accessed at the URL below.
>
>More source on the way? HP and Interex will gauge the success of the initial
>modules and the value the program brings to the 3000 community. They are
>hopeful that additional source code modules can be offered in the near
>future.
><<<END QUOTE>>>
>
>I would like to see more of this. Maybe for some of the applications that
>are no longer sold/supported.
>
>Doug.
>
>Doug Werth                                     Beechglen Development Inc.
>[log in to unmask]                                       Cincinnati, Ohio
>
>The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent the views or opinions
>of Beechglen Development. They might, but not necessarily. They represent
>solely the opinions of the author.

John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.