HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:28:27 -0700
Hi,

> In this I agree with Greg. Stan's railings at Denys' irrelevancy are
> themselves an irrelevant waste of time and energy on Stan's part, irrelevant

Yep ... but accurate in the context of the original discussion, which
this thread has now left behind:

> in the sense that Interex itself is rapidly becoming the irrelevancy.
> Interex, in its current form, isn't going to last much longer.

I agree with Wirt in this area.

> Interex has been in this transition period for quite some time now that it
> wants to divorce itself from the users. It just hasn't had the wherewithall
> (or the courage) to find the words to tell the users that, directly to their
> faces.
>
> Interex wants to become Greyhound Exposition Services, a mere putter-on of
> technical expositions, unencumbered by allegiances to any single product,
> vendor or group. It wants to be nothing more. If you read carefully what they
> have repeatedly said over the past 10 years, they've been telling you this
> quite plainly. It's just that most people have been reading the material that
> Interex puts out through the rose-colored gauze of seeing (and still
> believing) that Interex is a user-group.

That matches with my thoughts, too.

> I actually have no problem with Interex taking this tack -- if they would do
> it openly and honestly. Personally, I don't think there is a great deal of
> wisdom inherent to their stated goals, but it would at least wash away the
> multitude of layers of hypocrisy that overlay the current situation.
>
> And it would allow a new HP3000-oriented users' group to form.

Agreed!

(That said, my analysis of votes on the bylaws stands uncontradicted...thanks.)

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                         http://www.allegro.com/sieler/