HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:51:20 -0700
Nathan asks:

>     I was wondering what programming languages are available for the
> HP3000.  I'm aware of COBOL and then there is GNU C freeware BUT I need
> something that releases of MPE predating POSIX could use, and the only
> language I know (enough about to be useful) is C; so if anyone's got any
> info, send it my way.

There are two classes of languages: those you can get, and those
you can't.

In the "you can get" category:

NM:
   COBOL
   FORTRAN 77
   Pascal
   C  (HP's and gcc)
   SPLash!  (third party, essentially an NM SPL)
   assembler
   RPG/iX    (I'm being charitable :)
   BusinessBASIC
   Python    (requires HFS)
   Java      (requires HFS)

CM:
   COBOL
   FORTRAN 77
   FORTRAN V
   SPL
   BASIC
   BusinessBASIC
   RPG
   SPL
   C (third party)

In the "you can't get" category:

NM:
   SPLII
   PSPL

CM:
   MODCAL
   SPLII
   APL (obsoleted, required special firmware)

NOTE: you probably don't want to use pre-POSIX releases of MPE/iX, because
of Y2K concerns.  You should be using MPE/iX 5.5 PP6 or later.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                         http://www.allegro.com/sieler/