HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:52:26 -0500
Alfredo,

As one of the companies with an HP3000 ERP solution, my problem is one I
have been fighting with HP for years, MARKETING THE HP3000 OUTSIDE THE TRADE
MAGAZINES AND SHOWS.  Until HP came out with the recent e-commerce ads in
other publications, their silence on the HP3000 for years had been
deafening.  It is difficult to discuss your software with someone,
(particularly someone in upper management who doesn't have technical
knowledge on the 3000) how your software works when the first words are does
it work on NT?  Well no but..., Sorry, thanks but no thanks.

These people don't know that they might be turning down great software on a
great machine with no downtime, but how would they know that unless they
have a few years of experience with the 3000 vs an NT or Oracle solution.
The only thing they had to go on was the Microsoft, Oracle, etc. marketing
juggernaughts who flood publications with articles and ads showing a perfect
state of the art computer system that does everything they wish.  If I had
those ads vs an unheard of 'old' machine, I doubt that even the best sales
pitch could get me to go with the HP3000.  That is why niche marketers have
been the only ones to still have wide success on the 3000, because their
customers have fewer choices, and even then they have to be careful to sell
the software not the 3000 so they won't be labeled with an outdated
solution.

I haven't the resources to change this, only HP can do it, and time will
tell if they will.

Chris Miller
Genesis Total Solutions, Inc.
http://www.gttsinc.com