HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 2

From:
TRACY PIERCE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:42:00 -0400
You could have your pgm do a LISTEQ to disk and examine that, but easier
(I think) would be to have your subpgram (mine's called PRSET) keep
user-selected settings in Environment Variables, making them easily
available to your other programs as well (use GETVAR).  We let the user
choose their printer and when applicable, an optional environment file
(they see it as a "Style" selection, these are mostly stuff like duplex,
portrait vs landscape, 2-up, 4-up, etc.).  Values stored in various
"PR_@" variables are then used to build file equations for jobstreams
and/or by online programs RUN by the user.

(Here, the printers are all described in a table used by PRSET which
shows the printer type, its location, etc.  PRSET pretty much just
displays the table and does SETVARs based on user choices.)

Somebody else probably has an even better way.

K Tracy Pierce
Systems Programmer
Golden Gate Bridge Highway & Transportation District
San Francisco, CA  94129-0601