HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 2

From:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Lake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:09:02 -0700
At 4:35 PM -0400 8/12/99, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Make an SLT and full backup before you shutdown. Why? Since you are on 3.0
>you must be running on some flavor of fairly old disk drives. There is
>absolutely no guarantee that any or all of these drives will spin up or pass
>a self-test once they have been powered off. If you lose even one disk you
>will have to re-install the system or volume set.

responding to [log in to unmask]:
>>We plan on doing the following (in this order):
>>1) crtl-a <shutdown> and wait for Shut 6 (Operating system shutdown)
>>message
>>2) Shutdown power to each disk drive independently
>>3) Power off the System unit
>>4) Unplug the Conditioner from the wall (thereby reducing any possible
>>surges)
>>
>>Is there anything else I should be do......or should this take care of it.

In addition to Doug's good suggestions, I would also run the BULDACCT
program (it exists on 3.0, doesn't it?) before doing the full backup so
that you'll have job streams that can be used to rebuild your accounts,
groups and users. At a minimum, make sure to use the ";DIRECTORY" option on
the STORE command, if you're using STORE to do the backups.

Barry Lake                                 [log in to unmask]
Allegro Consultants, Inc.                  www.allegro.com
(408)252-2330