HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 2

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:41:25 -0700
At 10:38 PM 8/11/99 , Dave Eaton wrote:
>         Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> >    2) is Interex aware that some users block ad.doubleclick.net?

>the page is accessed -- for "counting reasons". What it means is your
>bandwidth
>and time is taken up over and over again, rather than making efficient use of
>the already delivered image and just displaying it from local cache.

>You might consider using a text browser such as lynx or w3m ... no ad graphics
>to bother you and is is quite fast. Of course then sites which use
>"JavaScript"
>and/or lack "ALT"s on graphics will start to be a problem. :-(

I suspect that Stan blocks ad.doubleclick.net the same way that I do, by
using a product called AtGuard (formerly known as @Guard) from the folks at
WRQ (yes, the same folks who produce the termulator Reflection [SIC in the
singular, as Mr. Vespe has pointed out more than once ;) ])  I consider it
a much better solution than switching to lynx.

AtGuard works as a personal firewall and/or as an HTML filter which quite
automatically strips out many banner and other ads included in so many
"free"* web pages "on the fly" and/or controls what sites you allow to save
cookies and/or execute Javascript or ActiveX code on your system.  I
believe AtGuard has a list price of US$29.95 though I've seen it available
for as little as US$15 online.  I believe it also has a fully functional 30
day demo available for download, which I took advantage of before deciding
this was well worth the relatively modest price.  For more info see:

         http://www.atguard.com/

* Re: "free":  "TANSTAAFL", courtesy of one Robert A. Heinlein

P.S.  I think I first learned about @Guard from this list, but I don't
think it's been mentioned here again for quite a while.  Also since I'm
simply a satisfied customer, I don't think a <plug> notice is needed.
--
Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask]  [PGP key available here via finger]