HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 2

From:
"Leidig, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidig, Lisa
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:57:19 -0400
I have a crazy, intermittent problem that is turning my hair grey.

We have a 959/400, MPE version 5.5pp6, running AMISYS. For the last 3 weeks,
we have intermittent periods where for an unknown reason, 30-50 sessions are
suddenly terminated.....(<your 'VT-MGR' connection has terminated>). There
is no rhyme or reason to which sessions are chosen, some are active, some
idle. Some within Amisys, others at a system prompt.

We have an open call with the HP RC, but its proving extremely difficult to
pinpoint the problem - we suspect its coming from outside the HP, from the
network (NT). But its extremely frustrating for myself, the users and
especially the operators - it even halts printing on our D640's - which
causes the document to start all over again, from the first page......<sigh>
Those familiar with Capititation and Claims reports will understand our
plight....

We have run a trace, which the RC is currently reading. Other symptoms
include even though the session has terminated, they are still shown as
active sessions. We have changed some settings within NMMGR, we have
rebooted, we even had the network folks run a trace....we found and
corrected one problem with a printer and its IP address...but it continues
to happen.

I need help - this damn thing is arbitrarily booting users off the system
about every 30 minutes to 2 hours...The NT folks of course, say the problem
can't be from their side.....but we haven't truly changed anything on the HP
side since May, when we upgraded to pp6 from pp4. The settings that we
changed on the HP this last time were timeout retransmission settings.

Any help, ideas or weapons of destruction are appreciated.....

Lisa Leidig
HP Systems Administrator
Amerigroup Corporation