HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 2

From:
Mark Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:14:33 -0700
David asks:

>Good day fellow list members.  Does anyone know of the existance
>of a package that has reasonably equivalent functionality to
>Microsofts Source Safe, for the HP3000.

There are some third party products that exist as well as a product
from HP called HPSRC. There is also GNUware available called cvs
(Concurrent Version System). I've been an HPSRC user, but am switching
my allegiance to cvs.

See http://www.dis.com/gnu/cvs/cvs_toc.html.

cvs is the primary tool in support of Open Source Development and it
is network aware, meaning that your repository can live on one
machine while your development environment live on another. Also
visit http://jazz.external.hp.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb for a demo of
a perl script that interacts with cvs on Jazz.

The downside of cvs is that it lives in POSIX land and has no knowledge
of file attributes. It assumes everything is a byte stream file, so it
will convert your source files to byte stream. I can live with that,
but it is an issue to be forwarned about if you can't live with that
behavior.

I should have tried to do a session just on cvs this year at HPWorld,
but never got my act together in time. It will be covered a bit in
Michael Hensley's session on POSIX Porting, though.