HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 1

From:
"Michael P. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael P. Smith
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 14:41:18 -0500
Stan Sieler wrote in message ...
>Hi,
>
>(Note: not going directly to Michael because he persists on using
>a "reply" address that isn't valid.)

<soapbox>
When I give my "valid" address, I get too much spam.  The last time I posted
with a valid reply address I started getting child pornography spam.  And
yes....I had only supplied my valid address to this newsgroup.  I can't
begin to tell you how much trouble I got in.  I now include my proper email
address in my signature with a minor modification that is documented.  This
seems to keep the spam bots away from me.
</soapbox>

>> changing the account security, or releasing the file, or adding ACDs.
What

>Why can't you put an ACD on the file?  Does the "Data Security Group"
>dislike them?  (That would be the only reason I could predict given your
>description).

The file(s) in question are going to be built, purged and rebuilt.  I
therefore cannot guarantee that the ACDs will be put back on the file(s).  I
could write a special command file that they have to run either to edit the
file or to "prepare" them for use.

>Assuming that's the case, then I think the answer is:
>
>  1) you won't be able to have a non-priv piece of code open the file;
>
>  2) therefore, you need some priv mode code to open it.
>
>I see two options:
>
>  1) Create the file such that you have to be in ring 2 to open it (i.e.,
>     priv mode), and *RELEASE* it.
>
>     The RELEASE means you won't have to play AIF games to be able to
>     open the file.
>
>     The ring-2 requirement means ordinary users won't be able to open
>     the file.
>
>     To open the file, do:  GETPRIVMODE and FOPEN it.
>
>     Note: I haven't tested the combination of these two things.
>
>     Note: I can't recall whether or not you'll have to be in ring 2 to
>     do subsequent reads from the file.
>
>  2) ordinary MPE security (disallowing the users) coupled with
>     AIFPROCPUT to set SM capability (or, using MUSTOPEN) ... but both
>     require PM in the program.
>
>Stan

Looks like I'm just going to have to setup a "preparation" step so that the
ACD will be added.  I hesitated to do this initially because I've tried
things like this in the past and it just results in me getting called in the
middle of the night with "but I'm sure I did your preparation step".

Thanks to all who have replied.

| Michael P. Smith                                              |
| Sr. Systems Programmer                                        |
| The Hertz Corporation    [log in to unmask] (work)          |
| Oklahoma City, OK                                             |
The thoughts, views and expressions contained in this message are those
of Michael P. Smith, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Hertz
Corporation.  To reply via email, remove the .xx from email address.