HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 1

From:
"Michael P. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael P. Smith
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:59:49 -0500
Apparently my initial request is very unclear.  I was hoping a generic
question would suffice, but apparently not.  So here are the details....

  I am working on a program that will allow our Production Support Group to
limit which users are allowed access to the system.  The program simply
takes the current user information (jobname, user, account, and home group)
and compares it against a configuration file that contains a list of users
who are allowed access to the system (allowing wildcards).  If there is a
match, the user is allowed on.  The configuration file has to be editable by
the Production Support group.

   So far so good.  The problem is that the account that the Production
Support Group signs into is set to READ:AC and cannot be changed (due to our
Data Security Group).  Also, the configuration files MUST reside in this
account.  So, I need to have a way to allow users to read this file without
changing the account security, or releasing the file, or adding ACDs.  What
I need is a way to allow a program to HPFOPEN or FOPEN a file that the user
does not have access to.

   Does that make it clearer?

| Michael P. Smith                                              |
| Sr. Systems Programmer                                        |
| The Hertz Corporation    [log in to unmask] (work)          |
| Oklahoma City, OK                                             |
The thoughts, views and expressions contained in this message are those
of Michael P. Smith, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Hertz
Corporation.  To reply via email, remove the .xx from email address.