HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 1

From:
Lee Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 07:55:35 -0700
Jim,

Do you want to also move the accounting structure to the PV? For example
you originally had the user LEE in the account SHIPPING with groups
INBOUND and OUTBOUND, do you want to also move these to the PV, or are
you creating new user/acct/groups?

If the former then I'd use Deny's suggestion of storing to tape, create
(really duplicate the old) on the PV, the restore using the VOLCLASS
parameter.

If a new accounting structure the just create the accounting structure
on the PV and use DSCOPY (with wildcards) to copy the files across (uh,
won't work with IMAGE files, in that case STORE/RESTORE is the route to
go).

"Johnson, Tracy" wrote:

> If your disc drive are becomes huge and your database
> size is relatively stable, the earlier philosophy of
> Master and Detail on separate spindles may become a
> non-issue for performance.  Especially when this can
> reduce your system down to one drive.

I suspect that thoughtful separation of datasets/files based on access
patterns probably still yields significant performance benefits, even
with the mapped file buffering done by IMAGE/MPE. The large memories
available and mapping files into the virtual space have greatly enhanced
performance, but seek and rotational latency and the corresponding
mechanical delays are still with us. Any thoughts or experiences from
others?

Regards,

Lee "Love my Explorer" Courtney
President
--
Monterey Software Group Inc.          Voice: 650-964-7052
1350 Pear Avenue, Suite J             Fax:   650-964-6735

Mainframe Network, Session, and Batch Authentication, Audit, and
Access Control for Hewlett-Packard 3000 Business Servers