HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:49:38 -0700
Sletten Kenneth W KPWA wrote:

> Mark just casually mentions:
>
> > ..... My home machines have an always-on DSL connection,
> > so no time is lost waiting for modem permission to do the work
> > unit upload/download.
>
> "Always on DSL *at home* ??...."....   *clearly* this should have
> been bracketed with a bold, uppercase    <SMUG ALERT>....

I was going to save the <SMUG ALERT> until I relocate from 92708 (~6000 feet
from my current GTE CO) to 92649 (~2900 feet from my new GTE CO) which should
qualify for 1.5Mbps DSL.  The best I could get in my current location is a
tolerable 384Kbps.  ;-)

However I did discover there is a dark side to moving your DSL service. Even
though I had GTE test the seller's existing phone line at the new location and
it qualifies for 1.5Mbps service, I learned that you can't just move in and
have DSL active on Day 1.  I have to wait to place the DSL order until *AFTER*
the new POTS line has been installed.  Since it can take GTE as long as 5
business days just to qualify the line for DSL, and then you have to actually
schedule the install date after that, I will probably be non-work net-less for
a week or two at the beginning of September.  :-((

- Mark

PS: Readers paying close attention to detail will note that 92649 is coastal
Huntington Beach (Orange County) and *not* Cupertino.  I will be telecommuting
for CSY after I have spent a couple of months working in Cupertino (starting
Monday) to absorb HP culture.  This short distance 92708->92649 relocation is
just a cute little joke the universe has decided to play on me, with the
culmination of a three-year house hunt occuring only 6 hours after I had
verbally accepted my CSY job.  Like I didn't already have enough stuff going on
in August.  ;-)