HP3000-L Archives

August 1999, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:30:46 -0700
Terry queries:
> OK, I want to know what Mark and Gavin are running their Seti software on?
> They are reporting average runtimes of 9hr 37min and 11hr 41min respectively.

HP9000 K420 (mostly full time) and Dell 400Mhz PII running Linux (at
night, weekends).  Both are almost exactly the same speed at ~10 hours
per work unit.  The K420 has two CPUs and runs two instances of the
SETI client, so the box produces two results per 10 hours on average.

> They are so much faster than everyone else, it's not funny.

Basically the Windows version of the client is terrible (or at least the
older ones were, I haven't run the recent ones).  The Dell PC is around
four times faster running the non-gui Linux SETI client than it is running
the Windows version.

We also had a head start on most people.

> Also, there was talk at one time of an MPE port of the Seti client,
> anyone pursuing this idea?

I believe multiple people have emailed them, but nobody has gotten a
response.

G.