HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 5

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:10:46 -0400
"Dan E. McConnell" wrote:

> I have searched the archives for a problem such as this and have not
> found anything related so I'll throw this question out for discussion.
> BTW I am very aware of the bytestream file problems as I went through
> that myself. Our problem is this. We are running Apache version 1.2.5
> on our HP3000. When accessing a web page on this server, the first
> page that loads takes about 1 minute to load and every page loaded
> after that seems to load pretty quick ( less than 5 seconds ).

Mark Bixby would be the authority on the internals, but there are two
possibilities:

* If the delay is only on the first page the first time you run the
  server after a reboot, it may be the streams subsystem cranking up,
  in which case there are tell-tale messages on the console.

* Otherwise I'm guessing that is the initial fork() overhead of
  setting up the child processes that do the actual work.

> All files are in bytestream format with little to no graphics on them.
> The same files placed on a non HP web server load almost instantly.

Setting up/tearing down socket connections is pretty intensive on MPE,
plus you have our wonderful TCP/IP stack to wade through :-)

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>