HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 5

From:
Boris Kortiak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Boris Kortiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:03:46 -0400
Jim,

The hardest part of securing a site is the maintenance.  Now that you have Norton on every PC, you will have to update the virus definition files on a regular basis.  IIRC Norton puts them out every Thursday.  It is a pain, but if you don't do it the next new virus could get you.  There was talk of some technology being developed (by IBM I think) that would automatically innoculate computers to each new virus threat as it was detected and countermeasures developed.

There is a web page somewhere (can't remember the URL) that details information about recent threats and available solutions (upon consideration, I suspect that there are more than one page around).

Last thing to remember is that you are still completely vulnerable to a virus developed in house specifically for your site.  This is because a virus made just for you will not have been defeated by Norton; or anyone else for that matter.  Backup often and develop a recovery strategy for what to do in case of a virus attack.

One other thing, just for giggles, if you have news group access start reading the alt.2600.* lists.  The signal to noise ratio is very low, but the gems and lessons are often well worth it.

>>> Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]> 07/29/99 08:05AM >>>

<snip>

I'm curious as to what steps others have taken to secure their
PC's from deliberate sabotage, so I would welcome any suggestions
or assistance in this matter.  Thanks again for your gracious help.

<snip>