HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:41:17 -0400
Jim Phillips wrote:

> In the letter the PUCO points out that FCC regulations prohibit
> the assignation of an area code exclusively for wireless telephones.
> In my humble estimation, this is a stupid regulation.  Why not
> have an area code just for wireless?

I wondered why they didn't give the new area codes to cell phones since
they seem to be eating up all the numbers.

Here in Atlanta, we had 770 split from 404 and then they turned around
and overlaid 678 on *both* of these.

The big issue is that older dialing software can't handle dialing 10
digits without putting a '1' in front of it. We (my old company) had to
have our PBX reprogrammed to handle the new rules. Similar to what
happened when area codes with other than a '0' or '1' as the middle
digit came out.

I heard from my Dad (retired AT&T executive) that all the E.S.S.
machines were being programmed to handle four digit area codes and city
exchange codes. So that may be next. The big holdup appears to be local
equipment still using crossbar switching.