HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
Bob Comeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Comeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 10:22:40 -0300
Hi all.

Adding the new drive as a new volume set for a week went fine.
Put stuff on it, took stuff off it, etc no problem.

I came in today to do the "simple" part of adding it to
the system volume set.  Nothing is as simple as it seems.

I purged all the accounts that were on it, and purged them
from the system directory, did the VSCLOSE, the SCRATCHVOL.

The NEWVOL command seemed to work until it got to where it
tried to mount the new volume, then it choked with an
error about an UNKNOWN Volume and :
*Error: Subsys     163, Info:     -10.

This drive's id doesn't match it's configuration, but it was
running fine that way all week as private volume, maybe it's
fussier about what gets added to the system volume set?

Tried a FORMATVOL work okay still could mount it, although
the DISMOUNT request was granted, go figure.

INITVOL afterward yields the same error messages I got when
I did the NEWVOL command.

An EXPANDCLASS to add the new volume seems to have worked the
new drive is now listed along with the others, but it didn't
help with the mounting problem.

The drive is now in the UNKNOWN state

Here is some info from VOLUTIL:
volutil: showset mpexl_system_volume_set dstatus

Volume name:               State:   Ldev:      Type:     Path:
-----------                -----    ----       ----      ----

  MEMBER1                 MASTER       1     433330     52.6.0
  MEMBER2                 MEMBER       2     433232     52.5.0
  MEMBER3                 MEMBER       3     433234     52.4.0
  MEMBER4         (VOLUME NOT AVAILABLE)

volutil: showset mpexl_system_volume_set volumes

Volume name:             Index:
-----------              -----

  MEMBER1                   1
  MEMBER2                   2
  MEMBER3                   3
  MEMBER4                   4

volutil: showset mpexl_system_volume_set setinfo

Volume-set name: MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET
Creation date: WED, DEC 31, 1997,  7:25 PM
Generation number: 0
Number of volumes in set: 4
Number of classes in set: 1

volutil: showset mpexl_system_volume_set struct

Volumes in set: MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET

  MEMBER1
  MEMBER2
  MEMBER3
  MEMBER4

Classes in set: MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET

  DISC

Volumes in class: MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET:DISC

  MEMBER1
  MEMBER2
  MEMBER3
  MEMBER4