HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
"Genute, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Genute, Thomas
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:05:41 -0400
I was told that SAMBA shares on the HP3K are faster than NT shares.  I have
not found this to be so.   We have a PC application that maps to the SAMBA
shared drive.  Records are read from a file on the shared drive and written
back to a new file on the same shared drive.  The processing takes about 45
minutes using an NT shared drive.  The same file takes over 2 hours using
the SAMBA shared drive.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to tweak SAMBA to
improve efficiency?   I've already configured the JSMB job and the JINETD
(used for NMB) at PRI=CS.  This has helped, but it is still slow.  the
system (987-200 with 768Mb) and used primarily for batch and is running at
less that capacity.  The PC and HP3k are on different LAN segments (10baseT
& Token Ring) so that packets pass through a router.  It is possible that
the slowdown could be occurring in the router but It doesn't appear that
bandwidth is an issue.  I would first like to try to fine-tune SAMBA on the
HP3K.

Tom Genute