HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
"Bob J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob J.
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:45:20 -0400
> Baltimore was the first, I believe, to go to 10-digit dialing several
> years ago, much to the chagrin of the folks who lived there.

  Maryland had a geographic split a couple of years before we
had an overlay. The overlay was much easier to adjust to. The
geographic split made half of the numbers change "area codes"
(with the overlay TPC stops calling those first 3 digits an
area code) meaning that everywhere those numbers were stored
had to be corrected. That means everywhere the numbers are printed
or written as well as stored by magnetism.
  Pushing 3 more buttons became natural in no time. TPC has tried
to keep the first 3 digits the same within buildings - no guarantee
of course. I had a line put in last week that has the first 6 digits
to match the rest of the phones in the office.

                          Bob J. -- Ideal Computer Services
                          http://www.icsgroup.com