HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Hornsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:32:37 -0400
>Begs the question, why are they there? They give false/incomplete
>information,
>which I don't particularly like when dealing with the system configuration.
>Would there be any benefit in making the two match manually?

My guess is that they were put in to sysgen to allow install to approximate
the
state that a reload did in the classic systems. Remember that reload rebuilt
the free space maps
for the system discs. In this day and age of disposable disc drives very
often the disc configuration of the target install is not the same as the
source config. I would therefore second the motion that configuring volumes
in sysgen is a bad idea at the present time. This is not to say that a
better version/integration of a disc configuration process  at install time
would not be a very good idea.

Mike