HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
"Cole, Wes" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole, Wes
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:57:50 -0700
I have  a project to convert UNIFACE code to PROTOS/Cobol.  Reading the 1992
Allbase/SQL Cobol programming manual, it
says that I can not do dynamic 'Declare Cursor' SQL
commands in Cobol.

Because of profile characters '%' and '_', I have to parse and
build the 'Declare Cursor' query at run time.  This will change as
the user enters data.  I did not change the 'OPEN', 'CLOSE' &
'FETCH' SQL commands to dynamic also.  I use the 'Execute
Immediately' SQL command for the dynamic query.

Is the 1992 manual correct that Declare Cursor is not allowed
as a dynamic command?

If not, Do 'Open Cursor', 'Close Cursor' & 'Fetch' SQL
        commands also need to be setup as dynamic also?

If true,  Can I do an Bulk Select into an array dynamically and
        then process the array.  This is part of an online/web/
        telephone application (Requisite checking for
        Registration).

I currently get the error that "There is no declared query
with this cursor name. (DBERR 10959)".

Is there a better source for asking these questions?
Are there any online tutorials for Allbase?

TIA for your assistance.

Wes Cole