HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:02:17 EDT
Johannes writes:

> We are trying to print to Canon GP200 printer using network printing
>  without any luck.
>  The machine is 947 and OS is MPE 5.5/ powerpatch 55.05
>
>  The npconfig file is set up like the following:
>  165      (network_address =  152.97.22.246
>          snmp_enabled=false
>           PJL_SUPPORTED = FALSE
>          setup_file = pclelit.pub.sys)

[snip]

>  Does anyone know if it is possible to use this printer as a network printer
>  with the HP 3000?

The answer is almost certainly: no. HP3000 network printing only works with
HP JetDirect cards (and even then not always; the internal firmware in the
HP755CM large format printer and in the new HP8500 office color laser will
not work with MPE's network printing. It's another case of different HP
divisions not talking to each other often enough). To make these and your
printers work, what you need to do is purchase an external JetDirect card.
The one we use and have good luck with for our non-HP printers is the
JetDirect EX Plus. It costs about $230 and is available from almost any
catalog.

The card plugs into the parallel port of your printer. Your network connects
to the JetDirect card; the card is where you set the IP address for the
printer.

Wirt Atmar