HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 4

From:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:32:33 -0500
Jack--

The interactive, command-line interface (CLI) part of RELATE/3000 has
worked correctly for me on all versions of MPE that we have tried (we are
currently on 5.5exp5).

The problems that have been reported with Relate on various MPE versions
have all been (to my knowledge) related to the Host-Language Interface
(HLI) part of Relate, which allows programs to access relate files through
a set of program APIs.  In each case where an MPE upgrade has caused the
HLI functionality to break, it has been due to a change in a table size
within MPE (I believe it's called the PCB table but I don't have my notes
handy).  The problem is that RELATE had hard-coded the size of this table.
We patched RELATE at the object code level to compensate and everything
works fine.

So, if you use Relate in CLI mode only, no problem.  If you use HLI, you'll
need to patch Relate for it to work on 5.5 (and probably 6.0 too, but I'm
not there yet).  Let me know if you need more details about this patch,
I'll have to dig for it.

Having said all that, I will also say that we are actively trying to
eliminate our dependence on Relate (great product but we've always felt
like it was a timebomb since the vendor's gone and we don't have the source
code).  If you are wanting to move data from Relate-format files into an
IMAGE database, just build an equivalent database and "COPY TO" to your
heart's content.  Heck, if you have lots of relate files, it probably
wouldn't be too hard to write an awk script or some such that would
translate a relate SHOW ALL into a corresponding IMAGE schema...

Hope this information is helpful.

Jon Diercks  ---  AU Information Technology Services
[log in to unmask] --- http://users.anderson.edu/~jon/