HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 3

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:18:24 -0400
Doug Werth ponders:

>I know someone who's production application is Oracle based. The only use
of
>Image/SQL databases is by utilities like Predictive and some third party
>software. What would happen to these applications? Would they no longer
run?
>There are substantial savings in deleting the Image/SQL license and they
are
>seriously considering it. I just don't want to see anybody shoot
themselves
>in the foot.
>
>So, on a system ordered with MPE/iX only what do you get? Or more
>importantly, what don't you get? Is the license option for the "SQL"
portion
>of Image only or for the entire DBMS?

This is the crux of the matter that lead to the "Boston Tea Party" back in
1990 (I think?).  The fact that you could have an HP 3000 computer
somewhere
without Image on it puts a severe restriction on third-party software
developers.  As I recall, HP made the committment to not do what you say
thay
have done:

>- option 810 Image and Allbase
>- option 910 IMAGE/SQL only
>- option 900 MPE/iX only.

It was supposed to be a "delete option" only, that is, you would get Image
by default and must request it be deleted explicitly.  But, things change.

Anyway, since the expectation of the ISV's back then was that you would
have nothing on an MPE-only box, I would expect that you would not be
able to run any application that relied on Image if you ordered the
option 900 above.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
Voice: (330) 527-2124                   Therm-O-Link, Inc.
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   PO Box 285; 10513 Freedom St.
Email: [log in to unmask]       Garrettsville, Ohio  44231