HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 3

From:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:10:19 -0400
At 13:58 7/16/99 -0400, Wirt Atmar wrote:
>It was thirty years ago today that the first trip to the Moon began. Apollo
>11 lifted off from Cape Kennedy at 8:32 in the morning, local time.

<snip>

I remember going to my aunt and uncle's house and watching the moon landing
with my grandmother.  My grandmother, who was born in 1898 and raised in a
lumber camp in Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, remarked that she remembers the
first time she saw an electric light bulb.

I thought it absolutely remarkable, and still do, that someone could
remember the first time she saw an electric light and watch someone walk on
the moon.  The technological changes, and societal changes caused by those
technological changes, between those two events happened in an
astonishingly short time.  I often wonder what our world will look like in
2026 when I am 71.

Tom Brandt                            Northtech Systems, Inc.
+1 734-769-5040                     313 N. First Street
+1 734-769-5498 (FAX)            Ann Arbor, MI 48103