HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 3

From:
Jeff Bandle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Bandle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:51:25 -0500
Hi All -
  First of all, some of you have already seen this, so if you are one of
those few, you may go ahead an disregard this message...for the rest of
you, please read at your leisure.

  As one of the HP3000 networking architects, I've been charged with
coming up with a roadmap that will address MPE user connectivity
in the next 3-5 year timeframe.  In order to do this, I figured it would
be a good idea to pick the collective brain of the MPE community with
a few simple questions.  If you have the time and the inkling, I'd
very much appreciate any time you can spare to answer these questions.
  I will use this info to try and draw some inferences as to where we
think MPE networking is going and what areas we may need to beef up
or develop.  I have no preconceived notions about anything, so please
feel free to jump in with your ideas on how you see things going on
in MPE lan in the future...consider this an e-mail brainstorming session
:-).
  The survey questions are as follows:

1) How do you and your users TODAY connect into your HP3000 systems?
   Please specify a percentage for each category that approximates
   your environment.

   __ Serial connections (DTC terminals, Console)

   __ Networking connections (VT, Telnet, Sockets, NetIPC)

   __ Others (Please specify)___________________________

2) How do you and your users TODAY access applications on your
   HP3000 systems?  Please specify a percentage for each category that
   approximates your environment

   __ Inbound (User logs into the HP3000 and then runs an applications)

   __ Outbound (Application opens a networked device..terminal or
printer..
      and controls the device until applications termination)

   __ Other (Please specify) ___________________________

3) How will you and your users in 3-5 years connect into your HP3000
systems?
   Please specify a percentage for each category that approximates
   your environment.

   __ Serial connections (DTC terminals, Console)

   __ Networking connections (VT, Telnet, Sockets, NetIPC)

   __ Others (Please specify)___________________________

4) How will you and your users in 3-5 years access applications on your
   HP3000 systems?  Please specify a percentage for each category that
   approximates your environment

   __ Inbound (User logs into the HP3000 and then runs an applications)

   __ Outbound (Application opens a networked device..terminal or
printer..
      and controls the device until applications termination)

   __ Other (Please specify) ___________________________

5) This is a very open ended questions.  Do you see any paradigms that
   will become dominant in your area of use with the HP3000?  Examples
   could include: "Moving away from DTCS, going to all VT and Telnet",
   "Getting rid of Telnet and VT and moving all users to DTC
connections",
   "All connectivity into the 3000 will be via sockets and a web server
    using Java".  I just want to get a sense of where you think things
    maybe heading. ____________________________________________________

Thank you again for looking into this and providing your feedback.  If
you
have any clarifications or questions about this, please don't hesitate
get in touch with me..

Cheers,

Jeff B.

Jeff Bandle
Hewlett-Packard                 email: [log in to unmask]
Commercial Systems Division     Voice: TN 447-1070 or
                                       (785) 842-0369
Remote office:                  Fax:   (785) 842-0273
4701 Harvard Dr.                Lawrence, KS  66049
Disclaimer: Comments are my own, not HP's