HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 3

From:
Robert Joseph <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:09:55 -0400
HP3000 (29 lines)
An independent division of our firm is considering the possibility of
using one of our HP3000 applications in their Tokyo office.  There are
two basic ways of doing this:

A)  System is here in US and wide area connection goes to Tokyo
B)  Small 917/918 type system is set up in the Tokyo office

While we know there are many options for connectivity that would need to
be researched for option A, I do have a couple of questions:

1.  For option B, what is the state of HP support for HP3000 in Japan?
Are there any issues to be wary of?  Our technical person from Tokyo
felt system and database administration in English wouldn't be a
problem, is that typically how others run their HP3000s in Japan?

2.  Has anyone successfully managed Japanese/Kanji data using HP's
Native Language Support routines?  We have used these routines already
for European (Roman8) languages, but those are still one byte
characters.  Japanese would require two byte characters.

Our application consists of an Allbase/SQL database, host Pascal
programs, and a Visual Basic client connecting with Leetech AIM
middleware.  It seems both NLS and MS Windows utilize the Shift JIS
character set, but are there any gotchas?

Robert Joseph
The NPD Group