HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 3

From:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:59:49 +0200
Hi fellow listers !

Well, I want to offer some suggestions, even if they're significantly
biased, since I work for a certified HP reseller.

Mark W. wrote :

> Just took a look at this. On the MPE downside of things, the age-old
problem
> of
> simply trying to buy something from HP raises it's head again.
>
> Is it still true that you can't buy an HP3000 direct from HP in the UK
any
> more
> and that you have to go through VARs (like Riva for example), adding an
> extra
> layer of beaurocracy to the proceedings?
>
> Mark W.
> SPE.

It's not so much for the sake of bureaucracy, but I can contribute some
very valid reasons (hopefully) why it's a good idea to have HP Systems sold
thru resellers, as compared to direct selling.

1) A VAR/Systems Integrator adds a lot of technical expertise. This is
validated by the level of agreement (VAR, Systems Integrator) granted by
HP.
2) A VAR/Systems Integrator can sell a turn-key solution, complete with
appropriate application software, third-party utilities and services. HP no
longer has the resources and technical expertise to handle this from end to
end.
3) A VAR/Systems Integrator can be closer to you, geographically speaking.
4) A VAR/Systems Integrator salesperson knows your company and activity
pretty wsell, and has the possibility to spend time to increase his/her
knowledge.
5) VARs/Systems Integrators are commonly companies smaller than HP, with
less overhead. They tend to REDUCE "bureaucracy" (Mark's word) rather than
increase it. They also tend to react much faster than a big structure like
HP.

This is what crosses my mind at this moment. There might be a zillion more
reasons I'm forgetting about why it's an excellent idea to have an indirect
sales force.

Just my $.02, or ? 0,02, as you like.

Christian Lheureux
Head of Systems and Networks Department
APPIC R.H.
HPConnect Systems Integrator
HP3000 Expert
... but these were my own opnions, you know, not anyone else's, including
my current employer's