HP3000-L Archives

July 1999, Week 2

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:50:37 -0400
Bruce Toback wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know that this has nothing to do with HP3000s, but there's probably
> someone here who knows the answer.
>

> I can't get NT to replace the boot sector, so I keep having to go through
> LILO in order to get to NT. I checked the NT Resource Kit, and it says to
> find a bootable MS-DOS floppy and use FDISK /MBR. Well, I don't have any
> bootable DOS floppies, and I can't believe that there isn't _some_ other
> way of dealing with this. I even re-installed NT after zeroing out the
> partition table, but that still didn't make the NT installer write a new
> master boot record.

Kind of puzzling, Bruce.  But what is the problem with a boot
able floppy?
I don't know NT, but making a boot able floppy from Windows is
quite simple.
I guess a DOS boot able floppy is meant.  I guess being a pack
rat has some
advantages.  If I dig through my old disks, sure enough, I find
old DOS
5 disks that I can boot from.

By the way, I also would like to know how to de-partition a MS
disk, if you
find out.  I have a case in one PC where I have a C drive (OK)
partition and
D, and E partitions (not OK).  The D and E partitions are empty
now.
I know I have to use FDISK, but I am not sure how.

Nick D.